[PLUG] Xubuntu Laptop Locks Up

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jan 6 14:22:38 UTC 2012

   This is probably a hardware issue, but the system runs xubuntu-11.10 so I
think it's on topic for this list.

   We have a Toshiba Satellite laptop about 2-3 years old that is heavily used
every day. Most used application is a Web browser (Seamonkey) accessing
facebook and gmail. The system keeps locking up by becoming completely
unresponsive for several minutes at a time. When switching to a different
virtual desktop it takes a long time for the screen to display.

   What might be causing this?

   Might it be more expedient to replace the system? Fry's ad in today's
paper promotes three Lenovo portables. One with a Pentium CPU, one with a
Core i3 CPU, and one with a core i5 CPU. The middle one is probably adequate
for the intended uses of this machine.

   Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations, and advice solicited.