[PLUG] Xubuntu Laptop Locks Up

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 14:43:30 UTC 2012

On Fri, 6 Jan 2012 06:22:38 -0800 (PST)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> dijo:

> This is probably a hardware issue, but the system runs xubuntu-11.10 so I
>think it's on topic for this list.
>
> We have a Toshiba Satellite laptop about 2-3 years old that is heavily used
>every day. Most used application is a Web browser (Seamonkey) accessing
>facebook and gmail. The system keeps locking up by becoming completely
>unresponsive for several minutes at a time. When switching to a
>different virtual desktop it takes a long time for the screen todisplay.

The obvious is to check dmesg and /var/log/messages, but you've
probably already done that. Also check top or one of the GUI system
monitors to see if something is being piggy about RAM or CPU usage. I
don't have any computers using SeaMonkey, but I find that Firefox
frequently causes exactly the symptoms you describe. Restarting Firefox
resolves the issue. And there is also memtest to see if it might be RAM
related, although that sounds less likely from the symptoms you
describe. It really does sound more like a software issue. And another
thought would be to run a live distro to see if it continues to happen.