[PLUG] ISP Changes

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Fri Jan 6 21:04:38 UTC 2012

On Jan 6, 2012, at 11:18 AM, John Meissen wrote:

> Holy crap!. Guess I need to check my aracnet email more often. This is very,
> very
> bad for me. I depend on the fixed IP address from SpiritOne for my mail and web
> server, and host a half dozen or so low-traffic domains for friends.

These types of issues, along with a few others, prompted me, several years ago, to find an inexpensive hosting company. I've been mostly happy with 1and1.com. They host my domains, serve my web pages, I have 250gb of storage on their servers, and can have something on the order of 5000 email addresses per domain that I host with them. I can even ssh into my space on their servers. I'm using part of the space as an rsync repo for some important files. This also solves my issue of wanting off premise backups.

Now, I can have whatever connection I want at home, and it doesn't matter because my static needs are in Pennsylvania.

All in all, well worth the $12 a month it costs me.

Russell Johnson
russ at dimstar.net