[PLUG] Video transcoding framerate problem: ogg -> avi

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Sat Jan 7 06:47:23 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm going a bit crazy trying to do something that I think should be
quite simple.

I'm creating some screencasts, using GTK RecordMyDesktop. It produces
Ogg Theora video files. I need to convert these to AVI files for later
processing.

Using mencoder, I'm finding that the framerate and length of the
resulting video does not match the original by a long shot. A 10-minute
ogg video comes out as 7 minutes after transcoding. According to GTK
RecordMyDesktop, the framerate of the original should be 15fps.

mencoder has two options for framerate. -fps specifies the framerate of
the original file, and -ofps specifies the framerate of the output file.
Setting either or both of these to 15 still does not resolve the issue.

By trial and error I managed to create an output video of the expected
length by setting -fps to 6.28. But this only applies to that particular
video, and I have dozens more of different lengths to do the same to.

I've also tried using ffmpeg to do the conversion. It gets the length of
the video correct but degrades the quality substantially, so I'd like to
see if I can get mencoder to work properly.

Has anyone else encountered this before? I've gone down so many
dead-ends via Google now that my head is spinning.

Thanks,

Scott