[PLUG] Resolved: UPS Recommendations

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Jan 10 22:42:48 UTC 2012

On 01/10/2012 01:54 PM, Bill Barry wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Richard C. Steffens<rsteff at comcast.net>  wrote:
>> I ended up with an APC BE550G from Amazon.
>>
>> It came yesterday so I plugged it in and let it charge up overnight.
>> This morning I plugged my computer and monitors into it and this
>> afternoon I have Googled and found I can install apcupsd via Synaptic. I
>> also installed the GUI monitor gapcmon.
>>
>> For instructions I used:
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/apcupsd
>>
>> It helpfully told me a few things I needed to change in a couple of
>> files. But it left out an important step: how to start the daemon. I
>> took a guess that it was "sudo apcupsd start" and learned I was correct.
>>
>> I confirmed that apcupsd exists in /etc/init.d. Am I correct in assuming
>> that apcupsd will start every time the machine boots?
>>
>> Thanks for all the support.
>>
> You should test the setup by pulling the plug on the UPS and making
> sure that everything shuts down correctly.

Thanks. I'll do that. (saved to drafts)

Test complete and successful.

On 01/10/2012 02:16 PM, wes wrote:

> make sure you save your work first!!

Good point. I didn't have anything open that needed saving, but good
point anyway.

The only thing I'm not sure of -- which I'll check another time -- is
whether apcupsd actually started. I think it did, but the way I went
looking was to start up the monitor. I showed something was starting but
I'm not sure if it meant that the monitor was starting or the daemon was
starting. Next time I'll run "ps ax | grep apcupsd" before running the
monitor.

Anyway, I'm happy with the way it works. I watched a clean shut down
after about 8 minutes or so. It started out with 11 plus minutes and
shut down around 4 plus something minutes. That should give me more than
enough time to save and close things when I'm sitting here. And I'm
usually good about saving before walking away from the desk so that
shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks again for the ideas.

--
Regards,