[PLUG] ISP Changes

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Jan 11 08:24:42 UTC 2012

RS> However, if you take their TOS use of the word "anyone" literally,
RS> unless you have written approval from Comcast, no one on or off
RS> your premises can use the service!
RS>
RS> The Service cannot be [...] made available to anyone on the
RS> Premises or outside the Premises [...], directly or indirectly,
RS> unless done with written approval in accordance with an applicable
RS> Service plan.

RJ> Taken out of context, it sure looks ominous. What it really means
RJ> is you can rent, sell, or give away the service to others, other
RJ> than those they know about in your service agreement. So you can't
RJ> give it away to another business, but you can give it to all your
RJ> employees. The contract you sign will specify who you can give it
RJ> to. They are just saying you can't give it to anyone else.

The literal words they use are so broad, that virtually any use you
can imagine *might* fit within their language of prohibited
activities.  There are many unsophisticated businesses that purchase
their service for which the only plausible purpose is to "give it
away" to their customers, and Comcast continues to happily cash their
checks.

What you are left with is a pervasive pattern of technical violation
allowed for as long as it is financially convenient to the carrier.
But if for any reason they decide they don't like you or what you are
doing, they have immediately available grounds for terminating your
service with prejudice.

It's a completely wonderful model ... if you are Comcast.

PS: $15/month for a static IP?  sheesh!  Can you say, "yippee! we don't
have any competition!"?

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net