[PLUG] Debian and Arch Comparison

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Mon Jan 16 20:44:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:56:12AM -0800, Daniel Hedlund wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 07:00, Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us> wrote:
> >
> > If any of you have experience running both Debian and Arch would you
> > please provide a quick comparison of the two?
>
> It's really going to depend on what you're looking for out of a distro
> and how familiar or willing you are with working on the command line.
> The ArchWiki has a dedicated page comparing itself to other distros:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Compared_to_Other_Distributions
>
> ...and a google search on debian vs arch returns more than you could
> possibly read on their forums:
> https://www.google.com/search?q=+site:bbs.archlinux.org+debian+vs+arch

Those are excellent suggestions and prompted me to go and re-read.
I'm really looking for a local data point of experience.

> If you go with Arch, their wiki is indispensable.  Go to the wiki
> landing page wiki.archlinux.org and browse a couple of the getting
> started documents to get an idea what it'd take to get going.  Next,
> do a search on some terms like "gnome" and "suspend" to get a better
> idea of what their documentation is like

Note to others:  Their wiki provides some really nice unbiased descriptions
of options.  Checking the pages for _Suspend_ or _X Desktop Environment_ for
two examples.

--
            Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
      Other Adventures: http://www.jamhome.us/ or http://westy.saunter.us/