[PLUG] /bin/bash: Permission denied

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Jan 16 20:52:51 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 11:04:13PM -0800, Russell Johnson wrote:
> Might I suggest some safeguard, like tripwire, that will monitor the filesystem and alert you to changes?
>
> Even the open source version could have, with a quick scan of the system, told you what had changed in short order.

Russell makes a good point.  One of the first things I did was
compare the operating system to the previous night's backup,
made with dirvish/rsync.  Unfortunately, the root directory node
itself does not get backed up exactly (it is named [xxx]/tree
in the backups).

While the cryptographic hashes stored by tripwire are indicative
of changes, they are not as foolproof as an actual comparison to
the previous day's bytes.  I used to use tripwire before I went
to full daily backups with rsync.  Though as you can see, nothing
is 100.00% foolproof.

More on backups and rsync in a subsequent message.

Keith