[PLUG] WRT54G DHCP - always serve the same IP address to a particular device?

wes plug at the-wes.com
Mon Jan 23 01:15:26 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net>wrote:

> Is it possible to tell my WRT54G to always serve the same IP address to
> a particular device?
>
> The support group offers two solutions. One is to have the DHCP server
> reserve an IP address for the RTV. Can I do that with my WRT54G?

It is offered on my Linksys WRT300N. I seem to recall the lower base models
don't have this option. On my Basic Setup screen, there is an entry for
"DHCP Server: Enabled or Disabled" and to the right of that is a button
labeled "DHCP Reservation." I would not be surprised to find this is
missing from your model.

> The other is to change the lease time to longer than a week. I'm not
> sure how this helps, but that was what was recommended. I think it has
> to do with the RTV rebooting itself more than once a week. But why the
> lease duration would make any difference to the RTV when it's DHCP bug
> kicks in isn't clear to me.

In my WRT300N interface, the highest I can push my lease time is 9999
minutes, or just shy of 1 week. At least it's better than the default of 1
day. I guess the theory behind this being potentially helpful is that if
the router gets a DHCP request from a client that already has an active
lease, it will automagically reassign the same IP back to it. This should
also be happening when it's within the 1 day window, so I am pretty
skeptical that this could help.

-wes