[PLUG] WRT54G DHCP - always serve the same IP address to a particular device?

wes plug at the-wes.com
Mon Jan 23 18:16:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 9:55 AM, Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net
> >wrote:
>

> > Alas, Wes is correct. I don't find "DHCP Reservation" in my WRT54G
> > administration browser interface.
> >

> I have never seen a router that does not allow you to assign a static IP
> addresses to a MAC address. Sometimes they hide it really well, but they
> all had that feature somewhere.
> What firmware do you have in this router?  Do you have the firmware that
> came with the router? If so which version of the WRT54G do you have?

In my job I deal with people working at home over the internet. I've seen
at least a dozen distinct router models, and many of them really did not
have an option to set up a DHCP reservation. It seems to be a residential
vs. commercial market delineation. Many (perhaps just several) features
fall on one side or the other of this split.

For Rich, the other option I can think of would be to use one of the Linux
hosts as the DHCP server. Then you can set all the reservations you want.

Or as a dirty hack style workaround, you could set EVERY other device in
the house to have a static IP, then specify the DHCP range to be 1 IP. I
suspect this will cause other problems, but would at least be interesting
to try just to see the resulting behavior of the RTV device.

-wes