[PLUG] Scanning pci bus

Ken Stephens kens at cad2cam.com
Fri Jan 27 21:08:11 UTC 2012

Mike Connors wrote:
>> Message: 3
>> Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:09:47 -0800
>> From: Ken Stephens<kens at cad2cam.com>
>> Subject: [PLUG] Scanning pci bus
>> To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help;    civil and on-topic"
>>         <plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>
>>
>> Is there a way to scan the PCI bus for devices not discovered by the
>> kernel?  I have an EEEPC1000 that the Ralink wireless card is not detected.
>>
>> There should be a Ralink NIC in the list somewhere, but isn't.
>>
>>   >uname -r
>> 3.0.0-15-generic
>>
>> --
>> Ken Stephens, SV Aventura, Portland, OR
>>
> Curious if you tried running lspci w. -v, -vv, -vvv or -M options set?
>
>>   -M     Invoke  bus  mapping  mode which performs a thorough scan of all
>>
>>                PCI devices, including those behind misconfigured bridges,
>>>   etc.
>>                This option gives meaningful results only with a direct
>>> hardware
>>                access mode, which usually  requires  root  privileges.
>>> Please
>>                note that the bus mapper only scans PCI domain 0.

# lspci -t -v
-[0000:00]-+-00.0  Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Memory
Controller Hub
            +-02.0  Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated
Graphics Controller
            +-02.1  Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML
Express Integrated Graphics Controller
            +-1b.0  Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition
Audio Controller
            +-1c.0-[05]--
            +-1c.1-[04]----00.0  Atheros Communications
AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 Gigabit or Fast Ethernet
            +-1c.2-[03]--
            +-1c.3-[01-02]--
            +-1d.0  Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI
Controller #1
            +-1d.1  Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI
Controller #2
            +-1d.2  Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI
Controller #3
            +-1d.3  Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI
Controller #4
            +-1d.7  Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller
            +-1e.0-[06]--
            +-1f.0  Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge
            +-1f.2  Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA
IDE Controller
            \-1f.3  Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller

Do the blank text fields give me the possible address of the wireless
NIC?  What command do I use to power it on.  The indicator list is lit,
so power is being applied by the bios.

--
Ken Stephens, SV Aventura, Portland, OR