[PLUG] truly wierd video screen behavior on new system install of Ubuntu Lucid Lynx install

website reader website.reader3 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 05:30:32 UTC 2012

This is a brain-storming request.

I just purchased an Asus P8H61-M rev B3 motherboard which uses the
Intel H61 chipset.  I attached an Acer G205HV lcd monitor which says
that it is capable of running 1600x900 vga dvi-d (I am still trying to
figure out what vga dvi-d means)  I am SOLELY using the vga cable into
this monitor.

After installing 64 bit Ubuntu Lucid Lynx edition 10.04.3 LTS linux, I
have a truly bizarre video screen being presented.  Only 3 resolutions
are available 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480, however selecting either
the 800x600 or 640x480 causes such severe problems that only the reset
switch or power switch can be used as the next choice.

The last 5th or so of the video screen is snipped and moved to the
first part of the screen and the next 4/5 shoved to the right.  Even
the mouse movement is constrained in a similar manner.

While booting up, the Asus BIOS information appears correctly on the
VGA screen.  The Ubuntu splash screen is also correctly displayed.
However the Ubuntu logon screen is chopped up and the last 1/5th moved
over to the left.

It is almost as if the video sync pulse moved to the 4/5 point.

Does anyone have any ideas on how this might be solved?  I really
would like to get Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS working on the Asus P8H61-M verB3
motherboard using the Intel I3-2120 processor chip, if possible.

Thanks for any and all ideas!!

- Randall