[PLUG] truly wierd video screen behavior on new system install of Ubuntu Lucid Lynx install

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Jan 29 18:27:52 UTC 2012

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 09:19:44 -0500
website reader <website.reader3 at gmail.com> dijo:

>Intel Linux Open Source developers say that the code now works great,
>so do I have to attempt to pull linux v3.1 into Ubuntu 10.04 ?? I
>really don't want to go to the new Unity desktop since looking at
>animated pictures is not my cup of tea, although kids love it.

I agree with your dislike of Unity, and I can add that I also dislike
Gnome 3.x, even though I happily used Gnome for years. When I upgraded
to Fedora 16 I had no easy choice if I wanted to use the old Gnome, so
I moved to Xfce. Now that I have been using it for several months I
realize that I should have moved to it a long time ago. No icons or
animations unless you want them.

I would recommend trying the Oneiric Xubuntu live CD. I think that will
give you the kernel you need. And if Oneiric doesn't come withn3.1,
then 3.1 is probably be available in the update repos. I haven't
checked these two statements for accuracy, but doubtless someone here
will correct me if I'm wrong.

>As to the Acer G205HV monitor, apparently I found a firmware bug and
>it is permanently stuck in a wierd mode whenever 1024x768 VGA @ 60 hz
>is flung at it and starts the beginning of the frame about 1/5 the way
>into the screen and then wraps from the right hand side over to the
>left.  I tried several times to reset this monitor back to default,
>but it appears permanently ROMed.  Using the other LCD monitors I had,
>I found that the wierd screen was located on the Acer, not with the
>linux kernal video driver.

And the reason you haven't returned this monitor to the store is ... ?