[PLUG] Are we having booting fun yet? (no)

website reader website.reader3 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 05:11:16 UTC 2012

After getting the Ubuntu 12.04 software to run the Asus P8H61-M
motherboard, I decided to try setting up multiple partitions,
including two OS's on the 1 terabyte WD drive.

After using up several hours of time trying to load up two copies of
Ubuntu and failing, I did learn the following:

Installing one version of Ubuntu under the GPT type of partition table
fails.  In fact trying two OS's under the GPT type fails, even though
gparted is able to create the GPT partition type and merrily chop up
the terabytes into gigabyte partitions.

I then let Ubuntu build a system using MSDOS partitions.  It succeeded
and used up one primary partition for the /boot and an extended
partition for / (root) and /home partitions.

Next I rebooted the live install CD disks and asked Ubuntu to install
a second system alongside the first.  Suddenly the installer program
hit a fatal error and quit.

I tried this 3 times before becoming convinced that a fatal error
really occurred.

Question:

How can I successfully install 9 GPT partitions on this terabyte drive
and successfully install two copies of Ubuntu 12.04?

Are there any GRUB2 Ubuntu wizards that know how to do this?

Thanks, I really appreciate any help on this.  I want to be able to
boot up with a choice of either Ubuntu OS, since I am going to use the
second one for a special purpose.

- Randall