[PLUG] Flier feedback from the meeting

Ronald Chmara ronabop at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 22:13:43 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 3:08 PM, Joe Niski <joeniski at easystreet.net> wrote:
> On 7/6/12 3:02 PM, "Rich Shepard" <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>>   Look at the headline on page 2. Yes, Intel and others provide a lot of
>>capital, but I suspect you meant to describe Portland as an OS capitol.
>>:-)
>
> i had the same initial reaction to "capital" in this context. i checked
> Dictionary.com and was surprised at the answer (not how i learned it back
> in -ahem- elementary school, lo many decades ago), so remained silent.
> Methinks common usage has overtaken my early education. Unfortunately, the
> OED is behind a paywall, so i couldn't quickly invoke a Higher Authority.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/capital
"The noun capital (1)  refers to a city or town that is the seat of
government; to a capital letter as opposed to a lowercase letter; and
to wealth or resources. The noun Capitol  refers primarily to the
building in Washington, D.C., in which Congress sits or to similar
buildings used by state legislatures. "

-Ronabop