[PLUG] Intra-networking inconsistent

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sat Jul 7 23:25:39 UTC 2012

I've had a home network for many years. I connect to my wife's Winders 7
machine using Samba. Sometimes the connection works easily, and other
times it does not. When she had Winders XP I could make a connection
from my Ubuntu 10.04 desktop machine to a designated folder on her
machine (named Transfer), and leave it mounted. If I needed to put
something there I could drag from wherever on my machine to the icon
representing that folder on her machine. Something changed when she got
a new machine with Winders 7. Now, I can connect from my desktop to
hers, but the icon no longer represents the folder I used to connect to,
but several layers up. I can leave the connection mounted, but I have to
open a Nautilus window and drill down to her Transfer folder. That's
annoying, but I can live with it. I just have to double click on that
icon to open a Nautilus window and proceed from there.

This morning I opened a connection to her machine, drilled down to her
Transfer folder, and transferred some files. I left that Nautilus window
open but minimized and went on with other things. This afternoon I had
some more things to move to her Transfer folder, so I restored the
Nautilus window and tried to copy some files. Something happened to the
connection and the copy stalled. I closed that Nautilus window and tried
opening a new one. No success. So, I unmounted that connection and
opened a new one. There was some delay, including a small window that
told me it was working on it, but then it worked fine.

A separate problem arose this afternoon when I tried to connect to my
laptop, which is also running Ubuntu 10.04. For reasons I don't
understand, I can see my desktop machine from my laptop, through Samba,
but can't see any directories. Likewise, while I could see my laptop
from my desktop machine via Samba, I could not see any directories on
the laptop.

Of course, in the process of writing this e-mail I went through the
steps again. I still can't see my desktop machine from my laptop, but I
can see my laptop from my desktop machine, and I can get to a shared
directory.

Can anyone recommend some reading on this subject so I can whack myself
with a suitable clue stick? (Or, feel free to whack me with said stick
yourself.)

Thanks.

--
Regards,