[PLUG] Intra-networking inconsistent

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Sun Jul 8 19:38:53 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM, wes <plug at the-wes.com> wrote:

>> I'm not aware of other protocols to talk to Winders machines. I know
>> there is/are other protocols for talking to other Linux machines, but I
>> haven't dug into anything other than what Ubuntu includes as standard.
>>

> all the protocols you can use to connect to other linux hosts are also
> available on windows. you just have to install the server software.
> filezilla makes a wonderful FTP server.

Exactly, I am using Samba right now, but this thread spurred me on to
look at ssh servers for Windows.
There seem to be a few options  mentioned here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_SSH_servers
even some of the commercial ones like WinSSHD are free for single users.

On the linux side you could use SSHFS to mount the Windows directories.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSHFS

Anybody use this type of setup?

Bill