[PLUG] a LEAN linux using apt-get or yum

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 13 21:13:34 UTC 2012

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012, Richard Owlett wrote:

> The standard distros are stuffed with irrelevant software (office
> suites/games/etc) AND/OR lack needed such as dialer for USB connected
> analog modem. Normal versions of Debian and Ubuntu fail both ways.

Richard,

   Really? I've installed xubuntu a couple of times but have wanted the whole
enchilada so I did not look for anything different. I'm surprised that
debian doesn't allow you to pick and choose.

   My primary distribution is Slackware and that _always_ allows me to select
exactly what I want to install. I never install the xgames group, and all
applications are in ap and xap. Networking is in n, libraries in l, and so
on. I'm sure you can create your own tiny installation very easily.

   Many additional tools are available in the SlackBuilds.org repository; you
can also easily build your own tools from source. There is a mirror
repository at slackware.osuosl.org.