[PLUG] Linux Clinic - Oscon 2012 edition, Sunday July 15 1pm

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Fri Jul 13 22:04:23 UTC 2012

As you all know, the PLUG Linux Clinic has achieved worldwide
fame and inspired a host of imitators since it was founded in a
Palo Alto garage in 1938.  Since Linus Torvalds hadn't been born
yet, the founders got bored and started Hewlett Packard, but the
dream remained alive, inspiring the Torvalds, the Stallmans, and
the O'Reillys to have sons, and raise them in the F/OSS way.

The young Tim O'Reilly dreamed of the day he could participate
in some small way in Linux Clinic.  Since Linus was still in
grade school, Tim decided to start a computer book business,
earning the money and building the staff he would need to someday
create OSCON.  Which is like the Linux Clinic, but way more
expensive and taking a whole week once a year, not every
third Sunday from 1pm to 5pm.

As the clinic moved from Palo Alto, to Massachusetts, to Helsinki,
and to Riverdale High School, the city of Portland anticipated
every move, and built the Oregon Convention Center, hoping to
host the Linux Clinic.  Instead, the community built Free Geek at
1731 SE 10th, a much better home for the Linux Clinic.  All was
not lost, however, as Tim O'Reilly moved OSCON to the Convention
Center, a mere 1.6 miles from his heros at the Clinic.

Like the Clinic, Tim's OSCON provides wifi.  The Clinic also
provides wired ethernet, screens, keyboards, and mice - Tim only
offers registration on those.  The Linux Clinic skips the long,
boring general lectures and focuses directly on your individual
issues.  We have distros, we can do installs, repairs, debugging.
We've even rewired automobile speedometers.  Tim only dreams of
such accomplishments.  He is a smart lad, he'll figure it out.

So, fly to Portland, and join us at the Linux Clinic at Free
Geek on Sunday July 15th.  In the unlikely event that we do
not satisfy your every desire, stay for the rest of the week
and blow two kilobucks on OSCON.

Keith