[PLUG] What to do when it freezes

Randy Stapilus stapilus at ridenbaugh.com
Mon Jul 23 18:08:59 UTC 2012

Running Mint 7 Gloria ...

Every so often (actually not all that often) an app freezes, most often the
browser, and the desktop stops responding. My question is what best to do
about that when it happens.

I've read about Alt + SysRq + R E I S U B ... but I haven't been able to
get that to work. (I've seen some reference online to that option being
disabled on Mint.)

Likewise Alt + F2 then running kill ... but I haven't been able to get as
far as bringing up the terminal.

Is there an alternative to get out of freezes in Mint, or is there a way to
reset Mint to accept these two options, or is there another way to deal
with this?

Randy Stapilus
www.ridenbaugh.com
Northwest politics and public affairs