[PLUG] Wireless connection information location?

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Mon Jul 23 22:39:14 UTC 2012

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:08:47 -0700
"Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So on I go.  I've exhausted by search foo and found nothing on where
> -- specifically Fedora (12) stores the wireless connection
> information. SSID, names, passwords ext.
>
> I'd like to export it before I upgrade my Netbook which has an
> encrypted /home partition.  (A file system encrypted partition
> mounted at /home.) I have quite a few access points I've visited and
> don't want to have to recreate them by visiting if I don't have to.

I assume you're using NetworkManager, since that's Fedora's default.
First off, man NetworkManager(8), nm-tool(1), and nmcli(1).  From what
I've seen, most of the data seems to be kept in
"/var/lib/NetworkManager/" and "/etc/NetworkManager/".  HOWEVER,
things have changed since Fedora 12, including NM's data files.  It may
be easiest simply copying the information from the NM edit window(s),
then re-entering it once you've upgraded Fedora.

I'm not sure if there's a NetworkManager-specific forum or IRC
channel.  If not, try asking in #fedora on irc.freenode.net.  Since
F12 is unsupported, be sure to let them know you're wanting to
upgrade.  I don't know if anyone there knows all that much about
NetworkManager, but they may know where to go to get help.  (You could
try #Fedora-EOL, but that channel has very little traffic.)

For that matter, ask about any gotchas involved with an encrypted home
partition.  For one thing, the default userid has changed, from 500 to
1000.  That's easily fixed, but if you're not expecting it, it can
cause a bit of hair pulling.

there.  Also, this web page has some links that may help:

    <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/NetworkManager>

I hope this helps, and I'm sorry I couldn't give you the info you need.

--Dale

--
Ivanova:  If I live through this job without completely losing my mind,
          it will be a miracle of biblical proportions.