[PLUG] Google Chrome and built-in video camera

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at easystreet.net
Tue Jul 24 06:35:45 UTC 2012

about a year ago, i intalled a little utility called "Camera Monitor" on
my Ubuntu 10.10 laptop. It simply sits in the panel and lets me know
whan my camera is active. It's never come on except when i've
deliberately fired up a Skype call or taken a self-portrait.

i rarely use Chrome, but recently had the occasion to watch a bunch of
videos ( http://www.youtube.com/user/TransformVoice?feature=watch,
<http://www.youtube.com/user/TransformVoice?feature=watch> where i'm
taking singing lessons and highly recommend to anyone who wants to do
the same). Apparently i'd never used YouTube since installing Camera
Monitor - as soon as i landed on YouTube, i was alerted that my camera
was active! Shocking! Why do the denizens of the GooglePlex want to
watch me watching?

A quick search via Google (doh! i guess they're already watching me...)
failed to produce anything relevant. Has anyone else noticed, or read
of, this behavior?