[PLUG] REALITY CHECK - was [Re: "Debian netinst.iso" vs "Wifi hot spot"]

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Wed Jul 25 18:14:39 UTC 2012

Bill Barry wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 6:17 PM, Richard Owlett<rowlett at cloud85.net>  wrote:
>> BTW
>> 1. Location is a public library
>> 2. I've routinely connected using Debian, Ubuntu and EVEN
>> Windows(tm) - never having been asked to agree to any terms. LOL
>>
>> Being in a distant suburb (~2000 miles SE) , AKA "Show Me
>> State" ;)
>> "And the answer is ??? ??????"
>
> It would probably be much more pleasant to install from the
> installation DVD. Even if the library wifi does work, what happens
> when later you want to install another package or maybe even
> reinstall. Then you have to do it over the modem or head down to the
> Library. You can buy the installation DVD's for about $3 - $6 from
> several places http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/#us. Somebody in the
> group might even have a copy to send you.
>
> Bill

Solving the wrong problem [*GRIN*]
Installs fine from any of several versions of the LiveCD.
WiFi works fine after those installs.
The problem with _those_ installs is that you get something
claiming "to be everything to everybody". Even P.T. Barnum
knew better ;)

I have been told that netinst is capable of the fine control
of *initially* installed packages that I desire. Besides
netinst should work. There's a subtle bub in here somewhere.
I'm retired. Therefore have time to searching and testing
that various people suggest.