[PLUG] REALITY CHECK - was [Re: "Debian netinst.iso" vs "Wifi hot spot"]

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Thu Jul 26 10:54:25 UTC 2012

Russell Senior wrote:

> w>>>  BTW 1. Location is a public library 2. I've routinely connected
>
> Maybe you should describe your problem to the librarians.  Maybe they
> will let you plug in to the public part of their network.  Librarians
> (at least reasonably enlightened ones) are sort of all about solving
> "information needs" and tend to be sensitive to "digital divide"
> issues like the one you are describing.

In fact I was just talking the reference librarian just
yesterday about a related problem. Seems that up until a
couple of years ago a few wired connection were available to
the public. They were removed ;)

> Of course, you run the risk of getting veto'd by unenlightened
> tight-ass network admins that are terrorized by the idea of anyone
> "untrusted" using their network.  But maintaining the divisions
> between information haves/havenots isn't what public libraries are
> for, and maybe you can gently remind them of that.

I don't know enough about system implications to argue for a
change. But the relatively large number of public access
terminals and a very satisfactory WiFi connectivity seems to
be reasonable compromise between "my champagne tastes/dreams
and their beer budget".