[PLUG] srt files and movies on linux

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jun 2 03:45:29 UTC 2012

On Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:16:18 -0500
Fred James <fredjame at fredjame.cnc.net> dijo:

>Looking for any experience or advice concerning adding subtitles to
>downloaded movies, ON LINUX ... no windows or mac here ... thanks

If you have the file already ripped to AVI or MP4 or something, and you
need subtitles, just download the subtitles file from allsubs.com
(among several other subtitles sources), then use VLC to view the
movie. If the .srt is in the same folder as the .avi, VLC will
automatically play the subtitles. If the .srt is in a different folder
you will have to go to Video > Subtitles > Open File.

I disrecommend Totem or other video player because they are all idiots
about subtitles, especially Totem.

You have to be careful about downloading the right subtitles for your
movie. Quite often I have a subtitles file and a movie file but the
subtitles are hopelessly out of sync with the movie. Usually this is
because the movie is at 25 fps but the subtitles were created for a
different version of the movie at another fps.

I watch a lot of ancient European movies and sometimes I can't even
find subtitles.

Oh, one other tip. If the movie file is MP4 frequently you find that
the subtitles are embedded in the file. In that case (in VLC) just go
to Video > Subtitles and you will see the tracks.

If none of that helps, post back with more specifics.