[PLUG] emacs: undo discard-info

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 20:19:08 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>   I'm having difficulty finding the emacs warning library. I use emacs to
> edit large data files and a global replacement exceeds the undo buffer's
> size so a small buffer window opens to tell me this happened. The window
> also says, "You can disable the popping up of this buffer by adding the
> entry (undo discard-info) to the user option `warning-suppress-types', which
> is defined in the `warnings' library."

You don't need to find the library, since we know that
'warning-supress-types' is an *option* that you need to *customize*
(emphasis because those terms indicate emacs commands/settings).

M-x customize-option

then enter:

warning-supress-types

And emacs will bring up the customize buffer for
warning-supress-types, where you can add (undo discard-info) to the
list, but it's not the most intuitive interface:

 * Click on State, which should show a menu.
 * choose show saved lisp expression.
 * I *suspect* that you'll have a default value of nil; change that to
((undo discard-info))
 * Click save for future sessions
 * close/disregard the customize buffer.

It's possible that there is one too many levels of parens in there...
if that doesn't work, try setting the value to (undo discard-info)

--Rogan