[PLUG] REMINDER: July PLUG Meeting: systemd

Michael Dexter dexter at ambidexter.com
Fri Jun 15 00:30:06 UTC 2012

Portland Linux/Unix Group Meeting Announcement

Who: Auke Kok, Intel Open Source Technology Center
What: The systemd init(8) Replacement
Where: PSU, 1930 SW 4th Ave. Room FAB 86-01 (Lower Level)
When: Thursday, July 5th, 2012 at 7pm
Why: The pursuit of awesome, open technologies.

See location H-10 on the PSU map at http://pdxLinux.org/campus_map.jpg

It's a little known secret that systemd is extremely capable of
starting, controlling and regulating more than just system services,
but can easily start an entire Desktop UI. Not many people have sat
down and implemented and worked out the problems of starting an X
service, a few UI components, the session bus and DBus services for
normal users with the mechanisms that systemd provides.

The benefits are obvious: Systemd provides excellent service
monitoring and restarting capabilities, provides socket and DBus
activation for relevant services, and overall improves desktop startup
by allowing user services to start well before core services like Xorg
or wayland start. In effect, we're saying goodbye to XDG autostart
entirely, and getting back reliability and scalability.

We converted several desktop environments including Tizen's Mobile UI,
Xfce4, Enlightenment and more to systemd user sessions. We "pop the
hood" and take a look at the implications for startup, what's possible
to further improve on the session startup and where we can do better.

Auke Kok is a software engineer at Intel's Open Source Technology
Center, and has been attempting to make Linux boot faster since 2007.
In 2008, he co-presented the "5-second boot" with Arjan van de Ven at
the first LPC. Since then, Auke has worked on further improving the
Linux Core OS start sequence, first for Moblin and later with MeeGo,
where we made the first switch to systemd. Auke now works on Tizen,
which will heavily integrate systemd in the Core OS.

Calagator Page: http://calagator.org/events/1250462472
PLUG Page with information about all PLUG events: http://pdxLinux.org/

Agenda:

7:00 - 7:30  Announcements