[PLUG] Father's Day Linux Clinic, Sunday June 17

Victor Soich vsoich at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 05:17:21 UTC 2012

Hi all,

A friend of mine gave me his laptop that has a cracked lcd.  I was
hoping I could come down, have someone teach me how to take the lcd
off, teach me how to get a replacement panel, i.e. what's a good price
at whatever site to get one, or possibly getting one somehow through
FreeGeek itself, show me what tools I need, etc.  Basically a primer
on fixing the hardware of my laptop.  Once I fix it, if it is fixable,
then I want to put Debian on it, or Mint, or whatever.  That latter
"project" would probably have to wait until the August clinic,
assuming everything goes well with fixing my laptop.  The point is, I
don't intend to get help fixing my laptop, and then not put linux on
it.  In fact, I have a desktop computer that has ubuntu 10.04.  Right
now the laptop does, "work", in the sense that it boots to windows.
There's just a big crack in the screen.  I hope what I'm seeking falls
within the purview of the clinic.

Sincerely,
Victor Soich