[PLUG] Father's Day Linux Clinic, Sunday June 17

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Jun 17 14:28:13 UTC 2012

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 22:17:21 -0700
Victor Soich <vsoich at gmail.com> dijo:

>A friend of mine gave me his laptop that has a cracked lcd.  I was
>hoping I could come down, have someone teach me how to take the lcd
>off, teach me how to get a replacement panel, i.e. what's a good price
>at whatever site to get one, or possibly getting one somehow through
>FreeGeek itself, show me what tools I need, etc.  Basically a primer
>on fixing the hardware of my laptop.  Once I fix it, if it is fixable,
>then I want to put Debian on it, or Mint, or whatever.  That latter
>"project" would probably have to wait until the August clinic,
>assuming everything goes well with fixing my laptop.  The point is, I
>don't intend to get help fixing my laptop, and then not put linux on
>it.  In fact, I have a desktop computer that has ubuntu 10.04.  Right
>now the laptop does, "work", in the sense that it boots to windows.
>There's just a big crack in the screen.  I hope what I'm seeking falls
>within the purview of the clinic.

Bring it in. As always with the Clinic, no guarantees that it can be
fixed, but it probably can.

But before the Clinic do some googling on replacement screens for the
laptop. Screens are among the most expensive component in a laptop, so
you might decide to forget about it. It kind of depends on the age and
quality of the laptop.