[PLUG] Old Hard Drive Disposal

Chris Berry cberry at davistl.com
Fri Jun 22 15:29:29 UTC 2012

FYI, if you need any of that data you can sometimes recover it by putting them in the freezer inside a ziplock bag for about 30 minutes first.  You'll then sometimes get about 5-10min of time to get your data off.

Chris Berry
Linux Systems Administrator
Davis Tool
x521

>>> "Richard C. Steffens" <rsteff at comcast.net> 6/21/2012 3:19 PM >>>
I have a stack of failed hard drives, each of which has failed sometime
in the ancient past (maybe as long ago as the '90s). The only reason I
still have them is that there is personal data on them. I realize that
if they failed it is unlikely they could be recovered without expensive
equipment, but I'm wondering if the best thing to do is to convert them
to blocks of aluminum with holes in them. I'm thinking that I could
drill a hole through each one of them before sending them to recycling
and the old data will be hard to get, even with the expensive equipment.

Any better ideas?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens