[PLUG] why not Ubuntu 12 ?

Roderick A. Anderson raanders42 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 15:39:49 UTC 2012

I've been a Redhat, Fedora, CentOS users since Redhat Linux 3.0.3 (the
first distribution CD I purchased) so I understand your question.

I just installed 12.04 on a friends computer.  The biggest issue "I" ran
into was the "new" interface.

The local user group North Idaho Linux User Group is mostly Ubuntu users
with the odd (including me) user of Debian, Mint, Puppy, and CentOS so I
got a couple of issues I had solved by them.

I recently acquired a old Dell Dimension 4400 so I was playing with a
few distributions.  I found the two Fedora spins (XFCE, LXDE) I tried
don't like the older video cards.  The wouldn't even install.  I'm
reluctant to take the time to try the full Fedora install until I get to
my eeePC 1000 netbook which is running a customized older Fedora.

Ubuntu 12.04 didn't play well with the SATA raid card (RAID 1) in that I
couldn't figure out how to tell the installation process to use the RAID
partition for HOME or to just ignore it.  Every time I tried to remove
it during the hard drive setup the operation would puke.  I got tired of
fiddling so gave up.  My take is Ubuntu works fine for the
desktop/workstation that doesn't require too custom of an install.

On the up side for me is CentOS 6 and Scientific Linux 6 install fine.
I know how to get the extras (closed source or from another repo)  I
need working.

As far as printers go it will probably come down to whether PPDs are
available for CUPS to use.

Good computing,
Rod