[PLUG] telephony cable modems

Jim Garrison jhg at jhmg.net
Mon Mar 5 20:26:47 UTC 2012

When I signed up for Comcast (moved to Beaverton from Austin, TX in
January), I scoured the web for a supplier of compatible modems,
but was unable to locate anybody that would sell me the Arris
TG852G.  I ended up just leasing one from Comcast.

A quick search turns up

http://stores.ownyourmodem.com/-strse-114/Arris-TG852g,-Arris-modem,/Detail.bok

but the breathless "get yours before they run out" hype makes me
wary.  These telephony-capable modems seem to be very hard
to find.  At $230 that's 33 months of lease fees, without
having to worry about finding a new one if it breaks.

--
Jim Garrison (jhg at acm.org)
PGP Keys at http://www.jhmg.net RSA 0x04B73B7F DH 0x70738D88