[PLUG] telephony cable modems

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 22:03:44 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM, Jim Garrison <jhg at jhmg.net> wrote:
> When I signed up for Comcast (moved to Beaverton from Austin, TX in
> January), I scoured the web for a supplier of compatible modems,
> but was unable to locate anybody that would sell me the Arris
> TG852G.  I ended up just leasing one from Comcast.
>
> A quick search turns up
>
> http://stores.ownyourmodem.com/-strse-114/Arris-TG852g,-Arris-modem,/Detail.bok
>
> but the breathless "get yours before they run out" hype makes me
> wary.  These telephony-capable modems seem to be very hard
> to find.  At $230 that's 33 months of lease fees, without
> having to worry about finding a new one if it breaks.
>
> --
> Jim Garrison (jhg at acm.org)

I agree about the "breathless" comment.  But why 852?  I have the
slowest contract rate.  The 402 is rated up to the "Performance" speed
tier.  My use is residential.  If you need the 852, then waiting 'till
buying one makes sense.  I am looking lower down the performance
(price) ladder.

Best Buy is listed by Arris as their rep. for consumers.  They do not
seem to have any Arris products.  I did find a 402 used on line for
$25.  Having no way to test it I gave it a pass.

-Denis