[PLUG] Linux certifications

Dan Young danielmyoung at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 23:57:01 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:17 PM, chris (fool) mccraw <gently at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 15:10, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:
>

>> So while the current versions of Debian and RHEL (and its derivatives
>> like CentOS) still pack init scripts into /etc/init.d/, bleeding-edge
>> distributions like Fedora are starting to use "systemd," one post-SysV
>> implementation:
>>
>>  * http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd
>>  * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd
>>
>> A project with similar goals is called Upstart, but my reading of the
>> literature suggests that systemd has a greater likelihood of future
>> success than Upstart.
>
> Well, to be fair, upstart is already in use in ubuntu and has been for
> over 5 years, so it's got pretty wide adoption (you can also still use
> sysv scripts there but they are mostly deprecated).  However I agree
> that systemd is the future.

init in RHEL6/CentOS6 is upstart too, FWIW:

[dyoung at dyoung ~]$ rpm -qf /sbin/init
upstart-0.6.5-10.el6.x86_64
[dyoung at dyoung ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.2 (Final)

My understanding is that it's more or less strictly in "legacy" SysV
compatibility usage though.

But yes, Paul's point is taken. Times change and systemd appears to be
the way forward. As long as "chkconfig" and "service" continue to work
(that's how I roll), it's all good.

--
Dan Young