[PLUG] Linux certifications

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Mar 7 16:29:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012, Rich Burroughs wrote:

> Hey Paul :)
>
> Yeah I remember you as well :) I hope you're doing well. I am going
> to try to drop by a meeting sometime soonish.

I've more or less relegated myself to mailing-list-only membership.
There've been some great meeting topics of late, but my schedule and
PLUG conflict in deep and murky ways. :-/

> Thanks a lot for the info on the init changes, that is definitely
> the kind of thing I'm looking to get up to speed on. I'm planning to
> poke around and the latest CentOS for starters.

CentOS 6 will give you a good view of current enterprise Linux. Fedora
16 -- or if you're really brave, the alpha release of Fedora 17 --
will point you toward the future.

Fedora 16, in particular, has forced me to add systemd stuff to my
shellcommand rules. If I push out, say, an updated version of
/etc/smartd.conf to my hosts, I now need rules for Debian systems, Red
Hat (and derivatives) using SysV, and Red Hat (and derivatives) using
systemd:

   smartd_reload.debian::
     "/etc/init.d/smartmontools reload"

   smartd_reload.redhat.!systemd_s::
     "/etc/init.d/smartd reload"

   smartd_reload.redhat.systemd_s::
     "/bin/systemctl try-restart smartd.service"

If you've got hardware capable of it, another good avenue to
investigate is KVM and native Linux virtualization. I use CentOS 6
with KVM to host several Debian, CentOS, Fedora, and even Windows
virtual machines.