[PLUG] SOHO router

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 17:16:49 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Mike Cherba <mcherba at gmail.com> wrote:
> Denis,
>    It's never been a concern for me, but then I run OpenWRT in a very much
> non-stock configuration.  Just like any other distro, it's not as secure as
> it could be out of the box, but can be improved substantially with a little
> effort.  There's some good tips on the open WRT wiki.
>                -Mike
>
> On Wed, Mar 7, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Denis Heidtmann
> <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I have been reading the manual for my (future) wireless router.  I am
>> completely ignorant about routers, so upon seeing the term SOHO router
>> I did some searching for an explanation.  I stumbled on
>>
>> http://www.defcon.org/images/defcon-18/dc-18-presentations/Heffner/DEFCON-18-Heffner-Routers-WP.pdf
>> .
>>  I see that open WRT is listed as vulnerable.  Is this of concern to
>> anybody?
>>
>> -Denis

On this subject, the intended equipment (Ubiquity AirRouter) defaults
to "SOHO router" mode.   I cannot say I really understand the
difference between "router" and "SOHO router", but I have the
impression that I can use "router" mode to do what I want and it would
be more secure.  I will have one desktop wired to the router, the
router wired to a Comcast modem, and very occasionally a laptop
connected via wireless.  Is this impression re: security and function
correct?

Thanks,
-Denis