[PLUG] Is there a non-server way to benefit from include files for web sites?

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Mon Mar 12 18:25:51 UTC 2012

Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> I'm working on a small HTML project
to display the story of the
> Victorian house we restored about 20
years ago. I want to give a copy to
> a preservation group that's
interested in it. The problem is that I am
> using php on my home
Apache installation so I can use include. However,
> I won't be
posting it on a php enabled server. Include is the only
> feature of
php that I need for this project.

Apache has an include
feature:
<!-- Set the title and slogan!! -->
<!--#set
var="title" value="OR Randonneurs" -->
<!--#set
var="slogan" value="Cycling Further in the Northwest"
-->
<!--#set var="pageID" value=" " -->
<!--#include virtual="/head.html" -->
<!--#include
virtual="/lnav.html" -->
id="content">

<b>Is it
Spring?</b> <br/>

> Is there some other tool I
can use that gives me the advantages of include?

wget also has
options to build a locally self contained version of a web site you crawl

from the wget man page:  "Wget can be instructed to convert
the links in downloaded HTML files to the local files for offline
viewing."  As I recall it uses relative links so you'd be able to
forward the tree of goods to them to install on their site with minimal
effort.

--
     Michael Rasmussen

http://www.jamhome.us/