[PLUG] Reminder utility

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Mar 13 16:35:38 UTC 2012

On 03/13/2012 08:40 AM, wes wrote:
> this will do what you describe:
>
> 0 19 * * 5 echo "remember to do that thing tomorrow" | mail
> wife at email.example

Looks like there's a little more required in order to send an e-mail
from the command line than just executing the command. To see what it
would look like I tried the following:

rsteff at moonguide:~$ "This is a test" | mail -s "Testing" rsteff at comcast.net
Null message body; hope that's ok
Please install an MTA on this system if you want to use sendmail!
Can't send mail: sendmail process failed with error code 255
rsteff at moonguide:~$

What program(s) constitute(s) the MTA (I assume that means Mail Transfer
Agent)? And if I install one, will that affect my normal e-mail activity
in any way?

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens