[PLUG] Reminder utility

wes plug at the-wes.com
Tue Mar 13 19:09:18 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM, Richard C. Steffens <rsteff at comcast.net>wrote:

> I wrote:
>
> > ... but still have to figure out what MTA to install.
>
> Google tells me that Postfix is the default MTA for Ubuntu 10.04. It
> also mentions "Configuring Exim to serve as a lightweight, send-only
> SMTP server" as another option.

you should not have to set up either postfix nor exim just to send emails
out.

> My question is whether this has any effect on my use of Thunderbird for
> the rest of my e-mail activity.

it should not. I can't imagine any way that it would, anyway.

> And the second question, is one of those two programs "preferred" over
> the other? Both of them are available through Synaptic and so, in
> theory, shouldn't be too hard to set up.

I would prefer something more simplistic. I'm afraid I don't have any good
options for you off the top of my head. I hope someone else does.

On my system, I use a little util called "sendemail" which just
automatically forwards locally submitted stuff to my relay host. It doesn't
even stay running and listen on the network. I don't really remember how it
works beyond that.

-wes