[PLUG] Reminder utility - I love being wrong

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Tue Mar 13 19:58:55 UTC 2012

mutt, a great text email client that is a drop in replacement for mail
and mailx mentioned elsewhere can forward to a remote MTA - meaning your
ISP.

http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Sendmail

How do I configure Mutt to use a remote SMTP server to send mail?

 Mutt can't do so directly (read the MailConcept to understand why
this won't change). You must specify a local MTA to do it. The MTA must have a
sendmail compatible interface to be used with $sendmail. See LightSMTPagents for which to
use, configure, install.

 Update: Recent versions (1.5.x) of Mutt has built-in SMTP support.

 If the smtp option is enabled during the compilation, you just need to
add the following lines in you ~/.muttrc or ~/.mutt/muttrc

    set smtp_url="smtp://yourusername@smtp.example.com:587/"
 set smtp_pass="yourpassword"
If you omit the smtp_pass, Mutt will ask you to enter the password when
sending mails.

 For older versions of mutt without smtp capability, one simple alternative
is the sendmail.py script:

    http://www.ynform.org/w/Pub/SendmailPy

Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> wes wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:49 AM,
Richard C.

<rsteff at comcast.net>wrote:

wrote:
> install.
>>> Google tells me that Postfix is the default
MTA for
> Ubuntu 10.04. It also mentions "Configuring Exim to
serve as a
> lightweight, send-only SMTP server" as another
option.

>> you should not have to set up either
postfix nor exim just to send
> emails out.

Actually he does for the purpose of a command line
> driven message
thingy. mail, mailx and mutt all expect there to be a local
> sendmail
stand in. [ this assertion comes from a quick read of man pages and

Googling.  It would be great to be wrong. ]

Thunderbird and
> the rest of the graphical crowd, developed in a
different era, all have the
> networking built in to use a remote
MTA.

> Paul's suggestion to use