[PLUG] Netbook Linux scarcity

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 01:37:32 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 6:10 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 14:25:40 -0700
> Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> dijo:
>
>>My search for a Netbook has been frustrating, and here is one
>>explanation:
>>http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/why-the-linux-netbook-crashed-and-burned/9156
>>
>>So what is a late-comer to do?  Has the long battery life, moderate
>>computing power unit gone completely?  The Asus 1015 series seems
>>completely out of stock.  I have yet to explore the X10x series, but I
>>see the X101 with Meego has a puny 4 hour run time.  Useless.  Even
>>the 1200 series seem hard to find.
>
> I have been thinking about a Toshiba Thrive. It's an Android pad with
> touchscreen. It does not need a phone account because it does not do
> 2G-3G-4G. Instead, it uses just plain WiFi for connectivity. But it's
> not a netbook.

I want and need a reasonable keypad.

I have recently found that Office Depot has some on-line: Asus
1016PT-BU27, 1016PT-BU37 and a 1215N-PU17.  The latter is larger for a
more comfortable keyboard, but the -BU27 has a very nice battery time
of 10+ hrs compared to the 1215 of 6 hours.  I will have to pay a
visit to try the 1016-sized keyboard.  I hope it will be adequate.  I
also hope they actually have the units and not just a website which
has not been updated.

-Denis