[PLUG] Reminder utility

Tim Bruce - PLUG timb at tbruce.com
Wed Mar 14 18:14:40 UTC 2012

On Wed, March 14, 2012 11:08, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> Tim Bruce wrote:
>
>> You should continue to use mailx (or other tool) for the command.  ssmtp
>> will pick up the email and forward it on (if it's configured correctly).
>>
>> something like:
>>
>> echo "Don't forget the doctor's appointment" | mailx -s "Reminder"
>> user at domain
>>
>> mailx will hand it to ssmtp and ssmtp just takes the message coming from
>> mailx and forwards it to the appropriate MTA that is configured (in
>> /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf) for delivery to the user(s).
>
> rsteff at moonguide:~$ echo "This is a test." | mailx -s "Testing"
> rsteff at comcast.net
> send-mail: 550 5.1.0 <rsteff at rsteff@comcast.net> invalid address
> Can't send mail: sendmail process failed with error code 1
> rsteff at moonguide:~$
>
>> mailx should NOT require root/sudo.  Neither should ssmtp (it's just
>> running as a background "service" (kinda) and takes what it receives
>> from
>> mailx and forwards it to the MTA.  I hope that's clearer.
>
> Okay. No sudo required from the command line for mailx or ssmtp. But
> something wrong with the address in mailx. I tried the -d option in
> mailx, which gives more information and got this:
>
> rsteff at moonguide:~$ echo "This is a test." | mailx -d -s "Testing"
> rsteff at comcast.net
> user = rsteff, homedir = /home/rsteff
> Sendmail arguments: "send-mail" "-i" "--" "rsteff at comcast.net"
>

> Nothing else happened. No error message, but no mail sent, either.
>
> I tried verbose mode and got this:
>
> rsteff at moonguide:~$ echo "This is a test." | mailx -v -s "Testing"
> rsteff at comcast.net
> [<-] 220 omta04.emeryville.ca.mail.comcast.net comcast ESMTP server ready
> [->] EHLO rsteff at comcast.net
> [<-] 250 OK
> [->] STARTTLS
> [<-] 220 2.0.0 Ready to start TLS
> [->] EHLO rsteff at comcast.net
> [<-] 250 OK
> [->] AUTH LOGIN
> [<-] 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
> [->] cnN0ZWZmQGNvbWNhc3QubmV0
> [<-] 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
> [<-] 235 2.7.0 ... Authentication succeeded
> [->] MAIL FROM:<rsteff at rsteff@comcast.net>
> [<-] 550 5.1.0 <rsteff at rsteff@comcast.net> invalid address
> send-mail: 550 5.1.0 <rsteff at rsteff@comcast.net> invalid address
> Can't send mail: sendmail process failed with error code 1
>
> How do I tell mailx to just use rsteff at comcast.net, and not prefix it
> with rsteff@?
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

You may want to check how you're formatting / connecting to comcast.  It
may be comcast is adding the rsteff on, in which case maybe you want to
drop the email address.

The other possibility is it's configured inside the ssmtp
(/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf).  It could also be there is some other mail MTA
running that ssmtp is forwarding the email to.

In short it looks like something is adding "rsteff@" onto the
rsteff at comcast you're passing into ssmtp.  (Maybe ~/.mailrc?)

Tim
--
Timothy J. Bruce

visit my Website at: http://www.tbruce.com