[PLUG] Sony Vaio Will Not See eth0

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 16 00:26:52 UTC 2012

   Well, having decided to quit fighting the wireless access from the Sony
Vaio, I ran a temporary cable from the office to the den until I get a
permanent cable through the walls and across the attic.

   Anyway, with the radio turned off (but this does not matter), and the
Ethernet cable plugged in, the system will not see eth0, only lo and wlan0.
Very strange.

   I delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot, but still
no joy. I've not seen this behavior before in any of the 4 Toshibas, 1 Sony
Vaio, 1 ThinkPad, and 1 Dell portable on which I've installed Red Hat or
Slackware. Makes no sense to me that the system will not see the interface.
'lspci' shows an Atheros Communications ethernet chip.

   Anyone have thoughts to share? If so, please do so.

Sigh,