[PLUG] Sony Vaio Will Not See eth0

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Mar 16 01:06:10 UTC 2012

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>    Well, having decided to quit fighting the wireless access
Rich> from the Sony Vaio, I ran a temporary cable from the office to
Rich> the den until I get a permanent cable through the walls and
Rich> across the attic.

Rich>    Anyway, with the radio turned off (but this does not matter),
Rich> and the Ethernet cable plugged in, the system will not see eth0,
Rich> only lo and wlan0.  Very strange.

Rich>    I delete /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and
Rich> reboot, but still no joy. I've not seen this behavior before in
Rich> any of the 4 Toshibas, 1 Sony Vaio, 1 ThinkPad, and 1 Dell
Rich> portable on which I've installed Red Hat or Slackware. Makes no
Rich> sense to me that the system will not see the interface.  'lspci'
Rich> shows an Atheros Communications ethernet chip.

Rich>    Anyone have thoughts to share? If so, please do so.

Paste the complete lspci output.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net