[PLUG] Once again Linux has proven to me it is only good for non critical apps

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Fri Mar 16 03:29:36 UTC 2012

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 20:02:19 -0700
Kirk Goins <kirkgoins at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just before leaving for Seattle the other day my Ubunto desktop
> system said there were updates. So I told it to download and install
> and promptly forgot I had done so until I got home tonight. It was
> asking to reboot to finish the updates.  Well it is dead now with a
>
> [0,665225] Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)
>
> Is this fixable or will I need to scrap and reload?
>
> Several months ago a grub update trashed things, but the clinic was a
> few days away and I was able to get it fixed there.

Ouch.  Ouch, ouch, ouch.  The only thing I can suggest is that you
boot from a live-cd, and run fsck on your / partition.  If fsck
fixes it, well and good.  If not, it's restore-from-backups time.

Also, you should probably run fdisk or sfdisk on your drive and see if
the partition table is still okay.  The boot partition is still alive
-- you were able to get load the kernel and start it.  But one or more
of the other partition entries may be bad.  (I have no idea what your
disk layout is, so I'm just throwing out suggestions here.)

Hope this helps

--Dale

--
"For the storm never lies... and it always says No!"
    -- Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny