[PLUG] Once again Linux has proven to me it is only good for non critical apps

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Mar 16 04:20:09 UTC 2012

>>>>> "Kirk" == Kirk Goins <kirkgoins at gmail.com> writes:

Kirk> "Once again Linux has proven to me it is only good for non
Kirk> critical apps"

This is actually a crappy way to ask for help, just so you know.

Since I know from long experience just how awesome Linux is for
applications of every variety, I immediately discount your obvious
ignorance and not want to help you.  I certainly feel no obligation to
prove to you how wrong you are.  The dominant feeling is dismissal.

Work on that.

Kirk> Just before leaving for Seattle the other day my Ubunto desktop
Kirk> system said there were updates. So I told it to download and
Kirk> install and promptly forgot I had done so until I got home
Kirk> tonight. It was asking to reboot to finish the updates.  Well it
Kirk> is dead now with a

Kirk> [0,665225] Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS Unable to mount root
Kirk> fs on unknown-block(0,0)

It is unlikely, given only this information, that anyone will be able
to guess your problem.  What version of Ubuntu?

Kirk> Is this fixable or will I need to scrap and reload?

You might try interrupting the boot and examine the situation from the
GRUB prompt.  It sounds like it's pointing at the wrong filesystem.
The solution might be as simple as pointing it at the right one.

Kirk> Several months ago a grub update trashed things, but the clinic
Kirk> was a few days away and I was able to get it fixed there.

Sounds like you are misconfiguring grub, but that's just a wild guess.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net