[PLUG] Sony Vaio Will Not See eth0

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 16 14:57:20 UTC 2012

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012, Mike Connors wrote:

> Based on all the weird, unresolved problems you've had I would also
> suspect this. Just about all the information you have put forth regarding
> this problem defies logic. I know I would feel a bit more sane knowing
> that there is a good reason for all the odd behavior. :-)

Mike,

   Try this reason on for size: the distribution was released in April 2011
with the 2.6.37.6 kernel, and the laptop was assembled and shipped November
2011. It is almost certain that the Atheros Comm. Ethernet chip is newer
than the driver in the kernel. That's what someone discovered on
linuxquestions.org with the same chip and an 'older' kernel. The laptop
shipped with some flavor of Windoze, as they all do. Ergo, it's quite
reasonable to assume the hardware works with a current driver.

   This weekend I'll build a 2.6.28 kernel using the SlackBuild script from
the 13.37 distribution, run 'mkinitrd', edit /etc/lilo.conf, and run
'/sbin/lilo' before rebooting. Heck, I might even try the 3.x kernel.