[PLUG] How to detect ppp address change remotely?

Tom Sharples tsharples at qorvus.com
Sun Mar 18 01:54:37 UTC 2012

Hello all,

We have several installations of embedded wireless routers (running
slack on a 2.4 kernel) in which the gateway router_1 uses a Verizon 3G
USB modem (ppp0) as its connection to the outside world, and one or more
downstream router_2 have 5.8Ghz wireless links to router_1, and thus
route traffic to the outside world through the same ppp0 3G connection.

Verizon has a habit of constantly changing the ppp0 IP address often
sometime several time per hour. I would like to figure out a way that
the downstream router_2 can be made aware of that ppp0 address change at
router_1 within a minute or two of it happening. The obvious way seemed
to be running a cronjob traceroute from the router_2 to a known outside
IP, with a limit of two of three hops, and grepping the first public IP
and looking for the change. However, for some reason that shows the
Verizon gateway router on their tower as the first public IP rather that
the locally assigned ppp0 public IP address. Any suggestions for how to
determine that ppp0 IP using standard tools and pref. without writing
e.g. inter-router communications scripts etc. would be welcome.

verizon_tower------------------[3G_modem(ppp0)]-[router_1]---------------[5.8Ghz_link]----------------[router_2]

Thanks,

Tom S.