[PLUG] Ubuntu how-to documentation rant

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Thu Mar 22 02:06:16 UTC 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 18:09:29 -0700
Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> ranted:

> Wanting to make a live usb of 10.04 LTS, I went to the website (
> http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download) and followed the
> instructions.  It seemed very well laid out--step-by-step
> instructions. Then I got to a line where it said  "2. open the dash
> and ..."  WTF is the dash?

That is the Debian version of the Bash shell, I believe.  You should
be able to simply open a terminal (shell) window and got with whatever
the instructions are.

> The real frustration is that I could not find a reasonable place to
> make a comment.  I guess if a comment location were easily visible
> they would be overloaded with stupid users ranting.

Try the following:
* On the web:  <http://ubuntuforums.org/>
* On IRC:  #ubuntu on irc.freenode.net
* There is a local ubuntu mailing list as well, I believe.
* And, of course, there's the PLUG mailing list.  :-)

The #ubuntu channel seemed to be quite busy when I checked just now.

Anyway, I hope this helps.  If not, remember, it's worth every penny
you paid for it!  :-)

--Dale

--
The question of whether computers can think is just like the
question of whether submarines can swim.