[PLUG] Ubuntu how-to documentation rant

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at ubuntu.com
Fri Mar 23 01:56:38 UTC 2012

On 03/22/2012 03:26 PM, Denis Heidtmann wrote:

>> Word>  Some thoughts on the Unity/Gnome 3 change I migrated to Ubuntu
>> Word>  Linux about 6 years ago after being alienated by the total mess
>> Word>  that Windows XP/Vista had become. The Gnome2 desktop was easy to
>> Word>  master, not all that dissimilar from Windows. Then Ubuntu
>> Word>  introduced Unity about the same time that Gnome3 superseded the
>> Word>  old linear menus. I really disliked the new interface models at
>> Word>  first and wondered why Linux developers just couldn't stick with
>> Word>  the old tried and true.
>>
>> Word>  A year of so later, my perspective has changed completely. I'm
>> Word>  currently using Ubuntu 11.10 w/Gnome 3.2 and the Avant
>> Word>  dock. After getting used to the change I'd never go back
>> Word>  (although Ubuntu 11.10 offers the option of the "classic Gnome"
>> Word>  desktop). The incredible flexibility of lenses combined with the
>> Word>  traditional linear menus and launchers in Avant makes just about
>> Word>  every task easier faster and more fun.
>>
>> Word>  My advice to those who find Linux' general move away from the
>> Word>  old Gnome/Windows menu model uncomfortable is to just slowly
>> Word>  acclimatize oneself to them. The fully user-customizable Avant
>> Word>  dock (AWN) is a great tool to ease that transition as it offers
>> Word>  everything the old Gnome2 menus did and more. Gnome2 fans can
>> Word>  explore the new paradigm without being lashed to it for every
>> Word>  task. I suspect most users will eventually find themselves more
>> Word>  comfortable with Unity or Gnome3 and many will become happy
>> Word>  fans.
>>
>> Dude.  This is called the "Stockholm Syndrome".
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
>>
>>   "In psychology, Stockholm Syndrome is an apparently paradoxical
>>    psychological phenomenon in which hostages express empathy and have
>>    positive feelings towards their captors, sometimes to the point of
>>    defending them."
>>

>> --
>> Russell Senior, President
>

> I do not doubt it, but if it were universally true, we would all be singing
> MS' praises.
>
> -Denis

#ubuntu is only for general ubuntu support if you needed instructions
you could join there on freenode however if you wanted to provide
feedback #ubuntu-doc would be the appropriate place for such.

12.04 will be the shipping LTS next month so all documentation is being
transitioned to reflect that Ubuntu uses Unity. You can complain all day
long about Ubuntu using Unity but in the end anyone who is still
shipping Gnome 2.x is just behind on times since that project is EOL
(End of Life).

Going forward you will have a choice of Gnome3/Unity/XFCE/KDE/Insert You
Fave Here all which run fine on Ubuntu and we generally maintain
community variants of the most popular spins.

Ubuntu is just keeping up with times and times are moving forward
instead of staying in 1990 :) We call it progress... You call it whatever :P

--
Benjamin Kerensa                "I am what I am because of
Team Lead, Ubuntu Oregon          who we all are" - Ubuntu